Get the Romanian residence permit as an US, Canadian or Japanese citizen

If you are an US, Canadian or Japanese citizen and want to get the Romanian residence permit, the easiest way is by forming a Romanian company.

You already have the right to come to Romania for up to 90 days.

But to stay more than 90 days, you have to get a Romanian residence card.

The easiest and fastest way to obtain a Romanian residence permit is by forming a Romanian company.


As an additional benefit, you will have your own company here, where you will pay as low as 1% revenue tax and 8% dividend tax, being one of the lowest taxes in the European Union.

With hundreds of clients brought to Romania and companies established on behalf of them, we offer the fastest and simplest option to get a Romanian residency card at the lowest fees.

Moreover, such will be done by professional lawyers, the only ones licensed in Romania to carry out such procedures.

Because we are lawyers, there is no notary public required during the whole procedure.

Your presence in Romania will only be required at the end, when getting the Romanian residence permit.

The whole process will be carried out via e-mail.

We will draft all the necessary documentation, in bilingual Romanian-English so that you understand everything.

You will only need to sign such documents via e-mail and soon your company will be up and running and you can come to Romania to get your Romanian residence permit.

It can't get simpler than that.

We also offer all-inclusive services for the management of the company, such as company address rental, accounting, legal services and many more.

Please contact us below for more details.



Why only US, Canadian or Japanese citizens?

Because those are the only non-EU citizens that do not require a minimum of EUR 150,000 investment in order to get the Romanian residence permit.

In addition to that, the procedure has been simplified by the Romanian government for those categories of citizens.

What are the requirements?

You have to be have an US, Canadian or Japanese passport.

You have to be at least 18 years old.

You have to rent a Romanian residence where you will move to.

Is my presence in Romania required?

Your presence is not required in the first 1-2 months. However, once the Romanian company is formed and the Immigration gives you an appointment for interview, you have to be in Romania to attend it.

Also, you might want to personally search for a residence to rent here in Romania.

Is a notary public required?

No, there is no notary public required.

Because we are lawyers, we are licensed to certify the documents which otherwise are required to be notarized. Thus everything is easier and faster, since you don't have to leave your computer to go to a notary public.

What documents do you need?

You will only need to send us a copy of your US / Canadian / Japanese passport and fill in a short questionnaire with information required by the Trade Registry and the Immigration Authority.

Please contact us below and we will revert with such questionnaire in no time.

Before, during or after the company formation, you have to give us a copy of a rent agreement regarding your future Romanian residence.

Please describe the procedure.

Once you send us your passport copy and the filled in questionnaire we will form the Romanian company on your behalf.

Once the Romanian company is formed, you have to give us a rent agreement of your future Romanian residence.

We will apply at the Immigration Authority for the interview appointment.

Meanwhile, you have to come to Romania. You do not have to get a visa for up to 90 days, since you are an US / Canadian / Japanese passport holder.

You have to attend the interview appointment at the Immigration Authority. You will be photographed and fingerprinted.

The Romanian residence permit is issued.

How long does it take?

The Romanian company formation takes up to 7 days.

The Immigration Authority waiting period for appointment can be between 2 weeks and 2 months, depending on the competent regional authority. To start it, we have to finish the company formation and you have to give us a copy of the rent agreement regarding your future Romanian residence.

In 7 to 30 days after the interview at the Immigration Authority, the residence permit is issued.

What is included in your services?

The services include:

1. company formation;

2. 1 year of company address rental;

3. 1 residence permit.

If there are to be more than 1 client within the same company, the fee is increased per additional client / residence permit.

In addition, we offer optional services for additional fees:

2. obtaining an EORI number;

3. obtaining an EU VAT number;

4. opening a bank account;

5. accounting services for the first 3 months, afterwards it is renegotiated depending on the company’s volume activity.

The fees, excluding the accounting services, are VAT exclusive. In Romania, the VAT is 19%.

For my Romanian company, how can I benefit from 1% revenue tax?

Starting with 1 January 2023, the rules regarding Romanian companies have been changed, below are the requirements to benefit from 1% revenue tax.

Your yearly revenue cannot exceed EUR 500,000.

You have to have at least 1 employee, whereby you have to pay the minimum gross salary of EUR 510 per month. Out of this, about 47.5% have to be paid to the government as payroll taxes. You can also hire yourself to meet this requirement.

The revenue related to consultancy and management activities must not exceed 20% of the total revenue.

For my Romanian company, if I do not meet the requirements for the 1% revenue tax, what taxes will be applicable?

If you do not meet the requirements for the 1% revenue tax, your company will pay 16% corporate tax (profits tax).

As shareholder of a Romanian company, what other taxes I have to pay in addition to the 8% dividend tax?

In addition to the 8% dividend tax, you only have to pay the health insurance tax, which is calculated as per below:

Fixed EUR 300 per year, if the yearly dividends are between EUR 3,000 and EUR 6,000 (approx.).

Fixed EUR 600 per year, if the yearly dividends are between EUR 6,000 and EUR 12,240 (approx.).

Fixed EUR 1,224 per year, if the yearly dividends are above EUR 12,240 (approx.).

The above is calculated per shareholder.

Who is qualified to form companies and carry out legal procedures?

In Romania, the only professional consultant licensed to carry out legal services such as company formation and assistance in front of the Immigration Authority is a licensed lawyer.




Other forms of contact

Phone: +40 729 088 889

E-mail: office@counselors.legal

Address: 9 I.C. Visarion Street, building A, 3rd floor, Sector 1, Bucharest, Romania